Hi Friends,

My sole purpose to start this forum is to unite all TUV 300 owners to share their experience no matter good or bad, to benefit others and bring niggles till Mahindra officials.

Please share your thoughts and publicize this forum to make our voice stand tall.

Thanks,
VP

Idling Rule - Must follow with TUV or Turbo Charged Engines

Mileage, NVH, Batteries, Tyres and anything thats TECHNICAL!
VPandey
TUVClub Admin
TUV 300 Varient: T8 AMT

Idling Rule - Must follow with TUV or Turbo Charged Engines

Postby VPandey » 20 Apr 2016, 19:39

Hi All,

I was going through TBHP forum and found an interesting article about "Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars". I feel I should share this article with you all because it applies to TUV 300 as well and we should follow these rules of idling for longer turbo charger and engine life. Sharing some important info, for detailed post please follow the link given in the end.
When Starting Off (especially in the morning):

Let the car idle for 30 (minimum) - 60 (maximum) seconds before you drive off. Use this handful of seconds to set the right playlist, climate control, mirrors and seat position

Be gentle to your car when she's cold. Maintain a low rpm level (below 2,000) until the engine has reached operating temperature. This warm-up period isn’t just good for the engine & turbo-charger; gradual warm-up is also beneficial to other components (transmission, brakes, tyres etc.). The procedure is recommended for naturally-aspirated cars as well.

Alternate method : Crawl out of your parking spot and through your neighborhood at just over idle rpms. Diesel cars move easily with zero or minimal accelerator input. Stay below 2,000 rpm, but don't lug the engine.

If you are making several short trips (bank, groceries, errands), pre-shutdown idling can get annoying. In this case, keep the rpm level as low as possible on the drive (without lugging the engine).

At the end of your Journey:

For the final km or so, reduce your speed and completely avoid high rpms. Keep the revvs low (< 2,000) when you approach your destination. Not a big deal as even small cars touch 60 - 80 kph at <2,000 rpm.

Let the car idle for 30 seconds if you've had a relaxed drive or followed the cool down procedure explained above. On the other hand, if you have a heavy right foot, idle the car for 60 seconds before you shut the engine. Use these seconds to switch off the music system & climate control, and fold in the ORVMs.

Some ignorant drivers revv their turbo-charged car (in the parking spot) just before turning the engine off. As an informed car owner, you shouldn't.

Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical ... -cars.html
Mahindra TUV 300 T8 AMT
Logan DLS 1.5 dCI, Alto LX, Indica Xeta

ankur
Newbie TUVian
TUV 300 Varient: T4+

Re: Idling Rule - Must follow with TUV or Turbo Charged Engines

Postby ankur » 01 Nov 2016, 15:27

Thanks VP for sharing these useful tips, I agree as many commercial SUV vehicle drivers have told me the same and i really follow this. Adding to the above points, if you keep the RPM between 1500 to 2100 then you will get the maximum mileage and it increases the life of the vehicle as well.
Happy driving :)

maddykarthik090
Newbie TUVian
TUV 300 Varient: T8

Postby maddykarthik090 » 16 Nov 2016, 19:56

Valuable Information VP for sharing this. It would be greatly helpful for us to maintain a healthy vehicle on and off road.

Mahesh
Newbie TUVian

Postby Mahesh » 07 Jun 2017, 12:44

Thanks VP for sharing these useful tips cheers will follow this

sambhaji
Newbie TUVian

Postby sambhaji » 13 Mar 2018, 13:11

nice information about idle handling of your car ! If we follows those small things then we can avoid frequent visit service center. Thanks!

Return to “Technical”