Hi Friends,

My sole purpose to start this forum is to unite all TUV 300 owners to share their experience no matter good or bad, to benefit others and bring niggles till Mahindra officials.

Please share your thoughts and publicize this forum to make our voice stand tall.

Thanks,
VP

Longish term review - Didn't want to jump on conclusions too soon.

Mahindra TUV 300 Long Term Ownership Reviews
Karanzone
Newbie TUVian
TUV 300 Varient: T8 AMT

Longish term review - Didn't want to jump on conclusions too soon.

Postby Karanzone » 18 Jul 2016, 03:11

Hi I have recently joined this club / forum but I have been following it ever bought the TUV 300 mHawk 100 AMT.

I was searching for a car to buy for 6 months and had booked a baleno cvt earlier as I always wanted an automatic.

I had never considered buying a Mahindra but XUV caught my fancy and got impressed with the brand and the value for money it brings to the table.

XUV automatic unfortunately fell in the 2000CC+ segment so it was not allowed to be sold in Delhi NCR. The only option was Chandigarh registration. This, alongwith the fact that it was stretching my budget too much and was getting into that 'Too big a Car' segment made me want to consider TUV.

I wish I had done more research to say the least. I only counted on my brother's opinion apart from my own. The car although looked nice but had no power whatsoever in the 80PS AMT version that I took the test drive for. When I raised this concern with the sales people I was informed that a new 100PS version was to be launched soon. So eventually when it came and i took the test drive vehicle for a spin, it definitely had more power and the seats also seemed [BBvideo=560,315]comfy.
[/BBvideo]
I took the plunge and bought it the very next day as I was in the need of a car and have been waiting for 6 months. I took the black color as only that looked appealing to me and the big rectangular grills merged with the color. It looked like jeep cherokee!

First few days I was careful with the vehicle as it was a new experience to own a tall SUV. At lower RPMs there were lags in shift but didnt seem impossible to live with.

By the fourth day I started pressing the peddle harder and there were frequent jerks between shifts and since I had planned a weekend getaway on my new car I thought of showing it to the service station before leaving. This was GSP motors in Begumpur, Gurgaon.

Another one of my concerns was a hard steering and creep mode in reverse. The reverse gear engaged after a good 1-1.5 second delay and accelerated to 10kmph which was quite risky while parking. Also when you press the brakes, given the nature of disc brakes the car stops immediately, then again the delay of 1-1.5 seconds of the reverse gear getting engaged before one can get a move on.

Since jerks were priority, they started checking the clutch system which physically had no issues so they went for software checks. I waited all day without those checks getting completed. I was suggested to leave the car and they would return it to me in a day or two. I agreed as they said that the vehicle could stop anywhere.

Since I had to go out of town I asked for an alternate vehicle which they couldnt arrange. After much pressure they provided a Xylo after two days. I missed my trip but altleast i had a car to drive till i got my car and frankly i wanted my 6 days old car back now. I took them 10 days of following up, pressurizing to call the Mahindra team from pune to update the software of the car. Since it became quite an ordeal I dint bother about the other two concerns and just wanted my car back.

I had called mahindra customer care and they promised a call back within 24 hours which never came. Finally, i got back my vehicle with improvement. The gear shift lag was much shorter and reverse got a little easier. Steering although remained hard.

I went for my first long haul trip to Chandigarh and Kasauli in the rains and the drive on the highway was amazing. It was smooth on slippery rainy roads and confidence inducing. Hard steering did help there. Mountains werent exactly its territory but it somehow managed. Lots of handbrake use was required as the hill assist didnt work or seemed missing from this variant. Funny for an automatic.

Since then it has been all city drive and I loved the commanding view of the road. Rest I had and still have to adapt according to the vehicle as the AMT refuses to adapt to my needs. For example, you have to switch to manual for overtaking. The creep mode is nice but again works best in manual.

Shifts although smaller are very much evident and that is the weakest point of this car. Another one of my concerns was that the trip got too tiring if i had to drive for 30 kms or more in the city. Body roll, bumpy drive, harsh suspension setup and overall gear shift jerks especially 2nd and even 3rd. I had to find a solution to this and found it very much through this forum - Rogerab.

For the first time ever, I enjoyed driving this car. It is still far from perfect but has just gotten driveable for me. Jerks reduced, body roll gone, gear shifts dont hurt your spine and neck as they did earlier. It finally drives like a car and not a Truck. Wonder if TUV meant Truck Utility Vehicle.

Mileage is not great but acceptable for a vehicle this heavy. Gives me 11 kmpl in city and 13 on highway. 12 kmpl is what my expectation is. It should improve after the first service but very apprehensive giving it again as Mahindra workshop staff seriously doesnt know what they are doing. I have to sit and get things done in front of me.

Will be happy to answer more questions, if any.

Karan Chhabra
TUV300 mHawk100 AMT Black
Karan Chhabra
Hatchback: Honda Brio Petrol manual
Sedan: Hyundai Elantra (Fluidic) Diesel Auto
SUV: Mahindra TUV300 mHawk100 AMT

Sharadkt
Senior TUVian

Re: Longish term review - Didn't want to jump on conclusions too soon.

Postby Sharadkt » 18 Jul 2016, 13:26

Karanzone wrote:Hi I have recently joined this club / forum but I have been following it ever bought the TUV 300 mHawk 100 AMT.

I was searching for a car to buy for 6 months and had booked a baleno cvt earlier as I always wanted an automatic.

I had never considered buying a Mahindra but XUV caught my fancy and got impressed with the brand and the value for money it brings to the table.

XUV automatic unfortunately fell in the 2000CC+ segment so it was not allowed to be sold in Delhi NCR. The only option was Chandigarh registration. This, alongwith the fact that it was stretching my budget too much and was getting into that 'Too big a Car' segment made me want to consider TUV.

I wish I had done more research to say the least. I only counted on my brother's opinion apart from my own. The car although looked nice but had no power whatsoever in the 80PS AMT version that I took the test drive for. When I raised this concern with the sales people I was informed that a new 100PS version was to be launched soon. So eventually when it came and i took the test drive vehicle for a spin, it definitely had more power and the seats also seemed [BBvideo=560,315]comfy.
[/BBvideo]
I took the plunge and bought it the very next day as I was in the need of a car and have been waiting for 6 months. I took the black color as only that looked appealing to me and the big rectangular grills merged with the color. It looked like jeep cherokee!

First few days I was careful with the vehicle as it was a new experience to own a tall SUV. At lower RPMs there were lags in shift but didnt seem impossible to live with.

By the fourth day I started pressing the peddle harder and there were frequent jerks between shifts and since I had planned a weekend getaway on my new car I thought of showing it to the service station before leaving. This was GSP motors in Begumpur, Gurgaon.

Another one of my concerns was a hard steering and creep mode in reverse. The reverse gear engaged after a good 1-1.5 second delay and accelerated to 10kmph which was quite risky while parking. Also when you press the brakes, given the nature of disc brakes the car stops immediately, then again the delay of 1-1.5 seconds of the reverse gear getting engaged before one can get a move on.

Since jerks were priority, they started checking the clutch system which physically had no issues so they went for software checks. I waited all day without those checks getting completed. I was suggested to leave the car and they would return it to me in a day or two. I agreed as they said that the vehicle could stop anywhere.

Since I had to go out of town I asked for an alternate vehicle which they couldnt arrange. After much pressure they provided a Xylo after two days. I missed my trip but altleast i had a car to drive till i got my car and frankly i wanted my 6 days old car back now. I took them 10 days of following up, pressurizing to call the Mahindra team from pune to update the software of the car. Since it became quite an ordeal I dint bother about the other two concerns and just wanted my car back.

I had called mahindra customer care and they promised a call back within 24 hours which never came. Finally, i got back my vehicle with improvement. The gear shift lag was much shorter and reverse got a little easier. Steering although remained hard.

I went for my first long haul trip to Chandigarh and Kasauli in the rains and the drive on the highway was amazing. It was smooth on slippery rainy roads and confidence inducing. Hard steering did help there. Mountains werent exactly its territory but it somehow managed. Lots of handbrake use was required as the hill assist didnt work or seemed missing from this variant. Funny for an automatic.

Since then it has been all city drive and I loved the commanding view of the road. Rest I had and still have to adapt according to the vehicle as the AMT refuses to adapt to my needs. For example, you have to switch to manual for overtaking. The creep mode is nice but again works best in manual.

Shifts although smaller are very much evident and that is the weakest point of this car. Another one of my concerns was that the trip got too tiring if i had to drive for 30 kms or more in the city. Body roll, bumpy drive, harsh suspension setup and overall gear shift jerks especially 2nd and even 3rd. I had to find a solution to this and found it very much through this forum - Rogerab.

For the first time ever, I enjoyed driving this car. It is still far from perfect but has just gotten driveable for me. Jerks reduced, body roll gone, gear shifts dont hurt your spine and neck as they did earlier. It finally drives like a car and not a Truck. Wonder if TUV meant Truck Utility Vehicle.

Mileage is not great but acceptable for a vehicle this heavy. Gives me 11 kmpl in city and 13 on highway. 12 kmpl is what my expectation is. It should improve after the first service but very apprehensive giving it again as Mahindra workshop staff seriously doesnt know what they are doing. I have to sit and get things done in front of me.

Will be happy to answer more questions, if any.

Karan Chhabra
TUV300 mHawk100 AMT Black

Glad that Rogerab helped you... I too use it and very satisfied. I feel it should be made OEM accessory to be fitted from the showroom itself. It will save many complaints to Mahindra. Many Mahindra showroom fit this in XUV as well.

Regards,
Sharad

Karanzone
Newbie TUVian

Postby Karanzone » 18 Jul 2016, 17:04

I agree Rogerab is the best investment to any car which has a mechanical feel to it and the TUV300 has to have it. The ride feels more cushioned and car like. Highly recommended to this community. Glad someone had a solution in place otherwise i was even considering getting the shockers modified. Right now it is the only way how TUV300 sales could get better.
Karan Chhabra

Karanzone
Newbie TUVian

Postby Karanzone » 18 Jul 2016, 22:09

There are a few other issues that I would appreciate answers for.

1. Engine shakes when switching off ignition
2. Tyre burnout / wheel spinning problem (rear)
3. A/c air from below does not cool.
4. Hill assist does not work in AMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Karan Chhabra

VPandey
TUVClub Admin

Re: RE: Re: Longish term review - Didn't want to jump on conclusions too soon.

Postby VPandey » 18 Jul 2016, 22:32

Karanzone wrote:There are a few other issues that I would appreciate answers for.

Engine shaking is a normal behaviour, since it's a 3 potter and has heavy dual mass flywheel so its quite obvious.

Tyre burnout happens due wheel slips and reason for that is missing differential locking mechanism and light back with wheels placed at rearmost part no weight after that.

Get the AC vents checked.

There is no hill assist in TUV AMT, the only thing you have to control rollback is hand brakes. You will slowly adapt to the working.
Mahindra TUV 300 T8 AMT
Logan DLS 1.5 dCI, Alto LX, Indica Xeta

Karanzone
Newbie TUVian

Postby Karanzone » 18 Jul 2016, 22:47

VPandey wrote:
Karanzone wrote:There are a few other issues that I would appreciate answers for.

Engine shaking is a normal behaviour, since it's a 3 potter and has heavy dual mass flywheel so its quite obvious.

Tyre burnout happens due wheel slips and reason for that is missing differential locking mechanism and light back with wheels placed at rearmost part no weight after that.

There is no hill assist in TUV AMT, the only thing you have to control rollback is hand brakes. You will slowly adapt to the working.

Thanks VP for the insight and more so for managing a very informative forum.

As for the burnout issue, i was under the impression that among other things Ceat Czar HT is also the culprit. If so, are there any alternatives that can be considered?

Karan Chhabra

Sharadkt
Senior TUVian

Postby Sharadkt » 18 Jul 2016, 23:13

Karanzone wrote:
VPandey wrote:

As for the burnout issue, i was under the impression that among other things Ceat Czar HT is also the culprit. If so, are there any alternatives that can be considered?

Michelin latitude cross will be the best in my opinion, very versatile, comfortable, good grip and less road noise.

How much will it help in wheel spin, frankly I don't know. By the way I am not having this issue, I got Apollo as factory fitted.

Regards,
Sharad

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Karanzone
Newbie TUVian

Postby Karanzone » 19 Jul 2016, 23:57

Sharadkt wrote:
Karanzone wrote:
VPandey wrote:

Michelin latitude cross will be the best in my opinion, very versatile, comfortable, good grip and less road noise.

How much will it help in wheel spin, frankly I don't know. By the way I am not having this issue, I got Apollo as factory fitted.

Regards,
Sharad

Thanks Sharad, I am also considering the attached Continental tyres. Any feedback ?

Karan Chhabra

Sharadkt
Senior TUVian

Postby Sharadkt » 20 Jul 2016, 06:29

Karanzone wrote:
Sharadkt wrote:
Karanzone wrote:

Regards,
Sharad

Thanks Sharad, I am also considering the attached Continental tyres. Any feedback ?

Both are equally good, Michelin latitude cross will be slightly comfortable while conti will be slightly sturdier in off road conditions.

starstalker
Newbie TUVian

Postby starstalker » 21 Jul 2016, 00:23

how much did rogerab cost you and where did you get it fixed? does mahindra have any warranty issues if its added ?

Return to “Long Term Ownership Reviews”